Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Sickness and Triumph–January 7, 2013

It has been crazy for me to think that it really has been almost two weeks since I saw your beautiful faces and heard Jacob's weird deep voice. That was a blast to know that you are all doing so well and have started to change in unique ways. The holiday season really wasn't too bad when it came to the feeling of homesickness, instead it was just a positive feeling of "I can do this!" Thank you for all of your prayers and the love you continue to give to me, every bit of it moves me along. There were even times when I felt you guys were just down the street and that I would soon be back around you, it was also nice to think I'm getting very close to being out one year from you (CRAZY!).

For this week I can't really say that too much has happened in the way of moving the work forward, but a lot has happened in the case of large experiences. The first was having New years eve at our stake center with our entire zone. That was so much fun to be around everyone. We spent a lot of the time playing sport in the late hours, playing capture the flag, and watching Disney movies on a projector. It was the greatest to hang out with Elder Fagg and hear him talk about how close he was to being home, most of the time it was every 30 min. Still it was nice to be around my Zone "Family" for the holidays. I was really blessed:)

Except the remainder of my week would not be so awesome. We left from our Zone early Wednesday morning to get to an appointment that day and I had awoke with a sore throat. At first I didn't think too much about it and went on with the day. That day went fine and we placed another investigator on date for baptism. It was then early Thursday that my throat got a lot worse and was really tight that it awoke me from my sleep. I was able to control it and the later that day called my mission mom Sis. Omer. She told me that I was too far away to go to the clinic in Florida by the mission home, so I would need to sort out some kind of help in Witbank and work with the complicated paperwork of payments from the mission office. After about two hours of trying to find somewhere that would take what I had, nobody could help me. So I called back Sis Omer and said to give me two days to fight this on my own and I would treat the symptoms. Man was that a bad idea! Saturday I woke up with a completely white throat and some bad bowel issues. I was able to talk to Sis Omer and tell her that we had left over money for bike repairs in our flat and that I could use that. She gave me permission and off I went to experience the south Africa emergency room. It was nice too an end, and the people were very nice to me. The doctor took one look and said she knew I had strep, Elder Meyers who was waiting said she came out and talked to most of the staff about me in Afrikaans. She made a clinching motion by her throat then a thrust downwards, everyone including Elder Meyers leaned back in disgust. Anyways all is now okay and I got the medication I needed, the only down side I was sick for five days.

Finally we have had small, but very meaningful triumphs in Witbank. We are now up too six investigators and two of them are on date. One we just met at church this last Sunday who was invited by the missionaries shopping. She was a wonderful lady and very interested, it was only too bad that we didn't have longer to chat with her because my pain medication makes me very loopy and I needed to get back to the flat to sleep. I'm slowly learning that their is my sight on life and Heavenly Father's sight on life, I just need to turn my view to his. Often what I would see to be progression isn't the way he wants us too, but in a completely different way.

I love you all very much and very excited to hear your having a fun time. Good luck with getting back into the groove! I hope this letter eases your first day back. Have fun Dad entering the desert valley of the school year, you can do it:)

With lots of love,

Elder Jack F Dalton


No comments:

Post a Comment